Monday, April 5, 2010

My Kind of Scene


This week on Wednesday, April 7, I am facilitating our next WRC program “My Kind of Scene,” which is going to discuss the intricacies of BDSM. We will be welcoming NIU professor and BDSM researcher, Brad Sagarin. We will explore various aspects of BDSM as well as myths, facts, and whether or not it can be feminist. So, I thought it would be apropos to touch on this subject in my blog.

The article Feminist Sex Submissive? How I Reconcile My Politics With My Sex Life, by Morgan, provides insight to the debates that surround BDSM and its relationship with feminism.

Some of the most compelling quotes are listed below (in case you don’t get an opportunity to read the whole article).

“I like giving up control over my body in the bedroom. I like being able to focus on giving my sexual partner what he or she wants. I like trusting them enough to give them permission to take. I like having one aspect of my life where I do not always have to be the best, the brightest, and on top. I like the way it feels to call my dominant ‘sir.’”

“Then I realized that part of being a feminist, for me, is taking control of my sexuality – admitting what I want, and finding a way to have it that keeps me safe in both body and mind. I am fundamentally in favor of everyone being able to admit to, and negotiate, the sex that they want – as long as it does not endanger others. Sex, after all, is just another facet of life, and if there is nothing wrong with men embracing their desires then women should be able to do so too.”

“Women are not inherently submissive to men. They’re not inherently dominant either. The genders, in this regard at least, are largely equal. Some individuals choose to submit to each other, and, on the whole, the inclination to do so is largely independent of their sex.”
“When I submit, I do it from a place of strength. I decide whether my partner is worthy of such a powerful and intimate gift, and I do not give my submission to anyone who does not both understand and appreciate the depths of what I am giving up for them. I value myself highly, and so I submit to people who realize that doing so does not make me less. I accept I am an intelligent, competent, submissive feminist – who sometimes finds her power by choosing to let it go.”

Morgan clearly believes that feminism and BDSM can go hand in hand. What do you think? If you’re interested in learning more and hearing more about the feminist debates over BSDM, as well as more about BDSM in general, come join the WRC, LGBTRC and professor Brad Sagarin for “My Kind of Scene.” Details below:

Wednesday, April 7
Time: 7:00 – 9:00 p.m
Location: Holmes Student Center, Heritage Room
Co-Sponsors: LGBT Resource Center, PRISM, Advocates for Choice

No comments:

Post a Comment